Monday, May 16, 2011

Groundhog Day

This post falls under mental and spiritual health in the realm of healthy living.

Back when I was in college, I was introduced to the movie Groundhog Day (late, I know!). The movie gave me anxiety and made me shudder at the thought of doing the same thing every single day. I couldn't understand what life would be like to relive the same people, the same situations, the same life every. single. day. Sounded more like a nightmare than a hit movie.

Yesterday, it was on and I realized, I didn't have my normal anxiety watching it and wondered why. I realized, much of my life is relived every day. We all have routines as adults. We get up at the same time everyday, rotate methodically through our wardrobe, pick out our one of three options for our breakfast.We have our jobs for years on end, doing much of the same tasks daily, seeing many of the same people daily, encountering many of the same situations daily. We have our commute to work. We pick: a certain side of the train, a certain car and even a certain seat. We walk down the same staircases, down the same pathways. We see the same stores, encounter the same weather. Life is just one giant pattern.

I watched the approaches that Bill Murray took, from utilizing prior knowledge to manipulate certain scenarios (imagine how helpful that would be on the stock exchange!) to winning over difficult people (that mysterious co-worker unveiled...) to being sad about the inability to move forward. In the end, he became a better person because of his daily routine. He was exposed to new people he would previously have ignored, his feigned interest turning genuine. It seems as if we go through our patterns in life and my hope is that there is a reason that our pattern is specific to us. That we are to gain something, to change a fundamental part of our being because of it. Change seems scary and routines are our safe-haven so we can stop trying. But tomorrow will come. Tomorrow in the figurative sense where tomorrow is a new step in our lives, a new coming. Not only will tomorrow come, but we will be far more appreciate of it this time around because suddenly a new path, a new seat, a new meaning will push us to try and believe.

Just wanted to share my lazy Sunday afternoon thoughts with you all. Please do share your thoughts on the matter. Would you want to re-live the same day over and over? Would you want your "tomorrow" to come with all it's uncomfortable newness and uncertainty?

Wishing you all happy and healthy living,
Mama A

No comments:

Post a Comment