Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Disclaimers

I woke up this morning wanting to add in some disclaimers to this blog:

1.) While I believe starting solids at six months is important to avoid texture rejection later in life, it is true that before age 1, solids are just for fun. Nutritionally, breast milk or formula should make up the majority of their diet.

2.) While making your own baby food is best, in today's busy world, that's not always an option.

What I generally do is to cook in bulk on the weekends and then freeze in BPA free ice cube trays. This is a good way to measure how much food your baby is eating because each cube is exactly one ounce and if you're running late, your little one doesn't have to wait long for a meal.

If you don't get the time to cook on a rare week, I would strongly urge you to only buy organic jarred or organic, BPA free pouches of food. What seems minimal to us in terms of pesticides or BPA is exponentially worse for babies. Some brands I have had luck with in a crunch are Ella's Kitchen, Plum Organics and Sprout, in order of my little guy's preference.

3.) As I stated in a prior post, breast milk is the best form of nutrition for babies. With that said, not all moms can breastfeed or pump for their child. Formula does suffice in the case of illnesses that can pass through breast milk. It's the difference between eating homemade squash and Ella's Kitchen squash. Your child is still fed, but if you have the option for the former, do it as long as you can. In a separate post, I'll showcase the differences.

I know there are battles brewing between moms on so many topics and I want this blog to be as non-controversial as possible. All moms are supermoms. We all want the best for our children - this is just my journey with my little guy showcased. I hope it can help some folks out there but I truly hope it doesn't hurt anyone.

Rainbows and unicorns to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment